Thursday, July 16, 2026

A full chain to relieve suffering (that involves sacrifice and requires change)

 Here is a full action chain to relieve suffering, which involves sacrifice and requires change, that one can run anytime.

  1. Reflect your current wish and suffering/uneasiness
  • You’re noticing: “Suffering → Need for change → Need for sacrifice.” In praxeology, this is felt uneasiness → imagining a preferable state → acknowledging that any choice entails renunciation (opportunity cost).
  1. Clarify the end (Well‑Formed Outcome)
    Before adding links, define what success looks like so the chain has a target.
  • Positive: What do you want instead of suffering?
  • Specific/sensory: What will you see/hear/feel when it’s true?
  • Self‑initiated: What is within your control to begin/maintain?
  • Context: When/where/with whom will this happen?
  • Ecology: What benefits must be preserved? Any downsides to avoid?
  • Evidence: What would convince a skeptic you did it?
  1. The complete, practical chain (short and long versions)
    Short (memorable) version:
  • Suffering → Meaning → Possibility → Choice of end → Priority → Commitment (cost acceptance) → Plan (means) → Action → Feedback → Identity integration → Maintenance.

Expanded version (what to add to the simple original chain):

  1. Suffering/uneasiness: name the specific discomfort.
  2. Meaning/attribution: what story are you making about the pain? (Is it a signal, a standard violated, a skill gap?)
  3. Possibility belief: do you believe change is possible for you here? If not, build efficacy first (proofs, small wins).
  4. Chosen end (Well‑Formed Outcome): define the target state precisely.
  5. Value hierarchy/priority: where does this outrank competing ends today? (If it’s not high enough, strengthen motivation.)
  6. Commitment/decision: explicitly accept opportunity costs and set a “good‑enough” threshold to start.
  7. Trade‑offs and sacrifices: list what you will stop doing (time, money, attention, social costs).
  8. Resource map: available means (time/energy/money/skills/social capital) and constraints; apply marginal utility—what small input yields big movement?
  9. Plan and environment design: minimum viable plan + friction/cue design (remove obstacles, add prompts).
  10. First action and state management: smallest executable step scheduled; manage emotion/energy for that step.
  11. Feedback/evidence loop: define leading indicators, scoreboard, and review cadence.
  12. Reward and identity integration: celebrate reps, attach the new behavior to “who I am.”
  13. Risk/relapse plan: if‑then contingencies, recovery scripts.
  14. Review and re‑prioritize: update the value hierarchy with real data (demonstrated preference).

Notice where “sacrifice” fits: steps 6–8 explicitly convert the abstract “need for sacrifice” into concrete opportunity costs and a resource plan, so you don’t stall in vague dread.

  1. Build motivation (Compelling Future)
  • Close your eyes. See a near‑future moment where the outcome is real. Make the image bright, big, and close. Step into it (first‑person).
  • Add sounds (what you or others say), then feelings (lightness, pride, calm).
  • Now future‑pace: watch a normal week running smoothly with this in place. Let that feeling become the payoff you’re willing to trade for.
  1. Translate into a micro‑protocol you can run in 10 minutes
  • Name the suffering: “I’m frustrated about ____ because ____.”
  • Reframe meaning: “This pain is a signal that ____ matters to me.”
  • Possibility: “One small win I can get this week is ____.”
  • Outcome (WFO): “By [date], I will [specific behavior/result] and I’ll know because [evidence].”
  • Priority: “It outranks [X,Y] this week because ____.”
  • Sacrifices: “I will stop/limit ____ for the next 7 days.”
  • Resources: “I have ____; constraint is ____; highest‑leverage move is ____.”
  • Plan: “Daily at [time/place], I’ll do [15‑minute action].”
  • Feedback: “Scoreboard: I mark a ✔ each day; review on [day/time].”
  • Reward/identity: “After each rep, I do [tiny reward] and say, ‘I’m the kind of person who ____.’”
  • Risk: “If [obstacle], then I’ll [contingency].”
  1. Immediate action and obstacle handling
  • Pick one live area of suffering. Run the 10‑minute protocol and schedule a single 15‑minute step within the next 24 hours.
  • Common obstacles and cures:
    • Vague goal → sharpen WFO and evidence.
    • Low belief → shrink the step until success feels certain.
    • Competing priorities → explicitly downgrade something else for 7 days.
    • Emotional drag → pair action with a state primer (music, brief walk, 4 deep breaths).

To tailor this to a particular person, a few quick questions:

  1. What domain is the suffering about right now (health, work, money, relationships, learning)?
  2. What would count as a meaningful 14‑day win that person can see/hear/feel?
  3. What sacrifice is that person actually willing to make this week—and what is off‑limits (ecology)?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Toxic empathy and irrational altruism, what is causing it?

  Why do we empathize with villains now? In Objectivist terms, the drift toward “toxic empathy” and moral blur has two main causes: a change...