Friday, February 6, 2026

Correcting the smear [Trump is a ‘Narcissist White Supremacist Habitual Liar Lunatic]

 An ANT is an Automatic Negative Thought

The map is not the territory. Here’s the Objectivist correction to the ANT: “Trump is a ‘Narcissist White Supremacist Habitual Liar Lunatic.’”

  1. Diagnose the errors (Objectivist classification)
  • Labeling/package-deals: This string mashes together undefined, highly-charged labels and treats them as a single verdict. That’s a package-deal and a floating abstraction—words detached from clear, factual definitions and essentials. Justice requires defining terms and judging by evidence and degree. [1]
  • Arbitrary assertions: Claims like “white supremacist,” “lunatic,” or even “narcissist” are often thrown out without evidentiary reduction or standards. The arbitrary is neither true nor false and must be dismissed on sight. [2]
  • Mind-reading/social metaphysics: Attributing inner motives or clinical conditions from afar (“narcissist,” “lunatic”) treats imagined consciousness as evidence. Independence demands first-hand judgment from words and deeds, not presuming access to someone’s mind. [1]
  • Context-dropping/false alternative: “Habitual liar” globalizes from selective cases to a total identity claim, skipping context, base rates, and domains. Proper method distinguishes specific false statements from a proved, quantified habit across contexts. [2]
  • Injustice in evaluation: Moral judgment must integrate the full context and essentials relevant to your purpose (e.g., policies and actions impacting rights), not smear with catch-all epithets. [1][2]
  1. Objective corrections (what to do instead)
  • Break the package into testable propositions: Replace the smear-string with discrete, factual claims you can verify or falsify (e.g., “On [date] he said X; source Y shows it is false”). If you lack evidence, suspend judgment. [2]
  • Define terms by essentials before using them:
    • “White supremacist” would require explicit advocacy of racial hierarchy or rights-violating actions grounded in such a doctrine. Absent that level of evidence, the charge is arbitrary—drop it. [1]
    • “Habitual liar” requires a demonstrated pattern: operationalize “habitual” (frequency, time window, domains), compile cases, and check base rates against peers. Without quantification and method, don’t universalize. [2]
    • “Narcissist” and “lunatic” are clinical or pseudo-clinical labels. Unless you have legitimate diagnostic authority and data, don’t substitute diagnosis for moral judgment. Judge observable statements and actions. [1]
  • Keep full context and degree: Use probability and scope, not binaries. Say “likely,” “sometimes,” “in context A,” when warranted; avoid “always/never.” [2]
  • Judge by actions that matter ethically: Focus on policies, directives, and consistent public positions affecting individual rights. That’s justice by essentials, not by insinuation. [1]
  • Form the rational replacement: “I will not use package-deal slurs. I will judge Trump by specific, evidenced statements and actions. Where a statement is false, I will name the statement, the evidence, and its scope; where a policy violates rights, I will name the policy and the principle it breaches.” [2]
  1. Examples of corrected, reality-based formulations
  • Instead of “habitual liar”: “On [date], he claimed X; according to [verifiable source], X is false. I will track such cases over time before concluding there’s a pattern.” [1]
  • Instead of “white supremacist”: “I have/not seen evidence that he endorses racial hierarchy or rights-violating measures based on race. I will reserve judgment pending concrete evidence.” [2]
  • Instead of “narcissist/lunatic”: “I can’t know his inner psychology. I will judge the observable: statements, policies, and their consistency with facts and individual rights.” [1]
  1. One-sentence correction
  • “Drop the smear; state only what you can prove about specific words and deeds, in context and by degree, and suspend or refine judgment as new evidence warrants.” [2]
  1. Quick checklist before you speak or post
  • Is each term defined by essentials? [1]
  • Do I have concrete evidence, reduced to perceptual facts? [2]
  • Am I judging actions and statements, not minds? [1]
  • Did I quantify scope and frequency instead of globalizing? [2]
  • Does this judgment integrate full context and serve a rational purpose? [1][2]

Bottom line: The smear-string is a package-deal of arbitrary, context-dropped labels. Objectivism demands you replace it with specific, evidenced, context-kept judgments about statements and actions, stated in measured terms and tied to objective standards (facts and individual rights). [1][2]

Sources

1 Conquer Your Negative Thoughts by Daniel G, Amen


2 Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand by Leonard Peikoff


No comments:

Post a Comment

Idea chain used to form Ayn Rand's idea of the "primacy of consciousness"

  Here’s an idea chain—a set of lineages that, when fused, produce what Ayn Rand called the “primacy of consciousness” (the view that consci...